Hydrogen for energy transfer

by Alexander Muzhichkov in Airborne Windenergy Forum · · 2 Replies · View last reply Respond
Alexander Muzhichkov
Alexander Muzhichkov

Hallo guys! Finally I find where discussion are taking place now :) Ok, I want to talk about hydrogen as a way to bring en energy to ground. How do you think?  I suppose, it can concentrate a lot of energy an also help to hold all devices in the air. It can be trancfered in a baloon or throug pipelines... 

Gordon Spilkin
Gordon Spilkin

A problem with large static AWE systems is that it is difficult to relaunch them after they have been retracted because of low wind conditions or for maintenance.  It would be better if they could remain aloft by means of lighter than air devices such as hydrogen balloons.  For example a 1MW static lifter kite system would require a lifting force of 28,000 Kg to maintain the turbines or oscillating devices  at a wind speed of 13.4 M/sec.  The total area of lifting kites for this system will be in the range of 1,500 M2.   Static lifting forces of about 10% of this are required to keep the system airborne when the wind dies down.  This translates to a volume of 2,500 M3 of hydrogen or a balloon of 8.4 M diameter.  Balloons of this size are relatively safe if they are maintained aloft.  In case they are ignited they will burn and not explode.  The heat will rise and not affect anything on the ground.
We need a system to maintain the hydrogen in the balloon because of losses due to permeation and leaks.  A few of the turbines in the system can be equipped with light weight generators to supply power to an airborne electrolyzer which will generate enough hydrogen to account for losses.
I do not see any advantage  for generating hydrogen in AWE systems and transferring  it to ground storage by means of tubes.  I also do not see any advantage of generating hydrogen on the ground and raising balloons into the air for storage since handling of balloons on the ground is hazardous.

Alexander Muzhichkov
Alexander Muzhichkov

Ok, I think also that a static AWE must stay in the air all the time. If it generates hydrogen upstairs and puts it in the storage ballon then this ballon can be lowered down. The AWE but stays upstairs.

A variant with tubes to bring hydrogen from upstairs down requires quit thin tube and if a pump for suck hydrogen needed it can be downstairs. Hydrogen concentrates more energy than cabel and tube will be also like ballon, means lighter than air. A problem can be with leaking throug tube walls.

AWE does not need to produce much energy from one item ( in compare with usual wind generator), so it can be many AWEs with little energy producing and all together will make good profit.